APR obtained PEFC Chain of Custody certification. PEFC Chain of Custody certification provides independent verified assurance that the certified forest-based material contained in a product originates from sustainably managed forests.
Asian Pacific Rayon
Here, at BOUTON BLEU, we take very seriously the impact of our garments production on the nature, and it is our duty to ensure that our operations are conducted in away that protects the environment. Here is why we choose to start using APR fibers in our collections:
APR’s 240,000-tonne capacity viscose rayon mill in Pangkalan Kerinci, Riau, Indonesia is one of the newest and best-designed mills in the world.
We have invested in technology to ensure the circularity of our operations which we operate in the top quartile of viscose manufacturing. Using fibres sourced from renewable plantations, cleaner energy from biomass combustion and adopting robust chemical recovery processes best illustrate our contributions to circularity:
- The natural fibre in viscose-rayon is sourced from sustainably-managed renewable plantations. Abundant sunlight and rain in the equatorial climate equates to an impressive growth rate which means these farmed trees can be harvested in as short as five years.
- Proven technology in the chemical recovery helps in the capturing and reusing of chemicals and energy (which will be used for steam production) used in viscose manufacturing processes. More than 90% of chemicals used in viscose-rayon manufacturing can be recovered by adsorption and condensation methods, and the remainder is treated with the best available techniques before safe disposal.
- Electricity used to power our integrated production line is generated by renewable biomass energy, maximising energy efficiency throughout our mill processes. These biomass by-products, such as ‘black liquor’ from the pulp production process, tree bark, palm husks and fibre sludge, generate enough electricity to power the production facilities and the surrounding communities. By using renewable biomass, we are able to drastically reduce the use of non-renewable fossil fuels.
Made from 100% wood cellulose, viscose-rayon is a natural alternative to acrylic, polyester, nylon and other petroleum-based synthetic fabrics. The highly absorbent nature of cellulose fibre enables it to take dyes very well, bringing about rich and radiant colours without losing its natural lustre.
Our wood fibre supply is sourced from sustainably managed plantations and forests. These trees are renewable resources which are harvested within 5 years for the next cycle of planting and harvesting, thus ensuring a constant supply of renewable raw materials.
Consisting of natural plant-based polymers, viscose-rayon is biodegradable and naturally decomposes into the soil.
Soft and breathable as cotton and smooth as silk, viscose-rayon drapes beautifully, giving extra comfort and satisfaction to end users.
APR Sustainability Dashboard goes Live
At Asia Pacific Rayon we understand that sustainability does not work without transparency; both are necessary for continuous improvement in responsible manufacturing. As a result of our commitment to become the most responsible viscose manufacturer, we are making transparent our critical sustainability performance indicators on our sustainability dashboard. The indicators were chosen with care, considering not only what is required by internationally recognised standards but also our commitments and core values. The dashboard focuses on pulp sourcing, responsible manufacturing and programmes to support our people and communities.
Our pulp sourcing conforms to our commitments made in our pulp sourcing policy that only 100% certified and traceable pulp is used in the manufacturing of our viscose fibre. On responsible manufacturing, our focus is on monitoring and tracking input consumption, chemical recovery rates and emissions parameters. These indicators are aligned with internationally acceptable standards and guidelines like EU BAT.
Highlights in the first year of our operations include:
- 100% of our energy used is generated from renewable resources
- Implemention of a water consumption reduction plan which already show an 18% reduction in freshwater consumption per ton of fibre produced
- Improvements and investments in our chemical recovery system to achieve higher recovery rates on Sulphur to air emissions and in-line with EU Ecolabel standards
APR is a contributing member of the ZDHC foundation and part of the Man-Made Cellulosic Fibres (MMCF) working group. The group is finalising industry-specific wastewater guidelines. Once published, we will implement the waste water guidelines and aim to be compliant with the highest defined limits
Pulp Sourcing Certification
OEKO-TEX standard 100, Annex 6, Product class I certification was awarded to APR. All Viscose staple fibre produces by APR is suitable for use in the manufacturing of products fit for babies.
APR received confirmation from the USDA that the Viscose staple fibre produced is made 100% from cellulose and is certified as 100% biobased.
APR Viscose Staple fibre has been awarded the FKT label „MEDICALLY TESTED – TESTED FOR TOXINS“ from the Society for the Promotion of Skin-tolerant Textiles.
APR Viscose, Safe for the Ocean
ÜV Austria Belgium, a leading independent certification body for the internationally known OK Biodegradability label, has certified APR’s Viscose for compliance to their OK Biodegradability Marine standard after an intense series of tests by independent research laboratory Organic Waste Systems.
Asia Pacific Rayon Fibers Confirmed to be Fully Biodegradable in Water and Soil
Asia Pacific Rayon (APR) has announced that tests have confirmed the biodegradability of its fibers in fresh water and soil. The tests were carried out by independent research laboratory Organic Waste Systems and, as a result, APR’s viscose staple fibers (VSF) have been awarded the international OK biodegradability WATER and OK biodegradability SOIL labels by accredited certification board, TUV Austria.
Management System Certification
APR received – ISO certifications for 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Enviromental Management System, and OHSAS 18001:2007 Occupational Health & Safety Management System.
APR obtained STeP by OEKO-TEX® certification.
STeP by OEKO-TEX® is an independent certification system for brands, retailers and manufacturers from the textile and leather industry. Certification is suitable for production facilities at all processing stages who want to communicate their environmental measures externally in a credible and transparent way.
APR now offers the MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® label, providing an added layer of assurance, transparency and product confidence our customers expect.
The MADE IN GREEN label verifies that an article has been tested for harmful substances and certified to STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®️ It also guarantees that the fibre has been manufactured using sustainable processes under environmentally friendly and socially responsible working conditions, certified to STeP by OEKO-TEX®️ Our unique MADE IN GREEN ID when included on the hangtags of garments can be traced back to our mill where the viscose fibre was manufactured.